funding for cob code project (Re: [Cob] cob in vancouver)

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Tue Mar 2 02:47:06 CST 2004

Ian, if your group needs funding to rent the seismic machine and build
appropriately sized cob structures for developing the code, I have some
possibly relevant information.

Tonight I met Tim Pringle, Executive Director of the Real Estate
Foundation of British Columbia.  If I understood him correctly, they
give grants and funding to projects that promote sustainable and
environmentally friendly land use in British Columbia.

I discussed the merits of cob with Tim tonight, and although he said the
foundation wasn't funding any cob projects at the moment, my impression
was that if someone submitted a good proposal and made a good case for
it, that could change.

Ian, I feel you could make a very good case that your project does
contribute to sustainable and environmentally friendly land developement
in BC, and so I feel your group should be a shoo-in for funding.

If you come up with a plan, please share it with the mailing list, but
more importantly, please get in touch with Tim.  His phone number is
604-688-3669, and his email address is tpringle at radiant.net.

If you would like someone to join in on developing a proposal to submit
to the Real Estate Foundation, I would be happy to assist.  I'd hate to
see the Vancouver city code start requiring all kinds of two-by-fours
and rebar in the construction of a cob house when cob houses are already
earthquake resistant without them.

Jonathan

PS: there is a small cob building at the mental hospital on Cambie
street, on the west side of the street, near 52nd Avenue.  It looks like
a chapel, with stained glass windows.  Anyone is free to go look at it.
It is very solid.  I believe builders cooperated with city officials and
made good headway in winning their support for cob construction; this
just needs to be followed up on.