[Cob] cob in vancouver

Ian Marcuse dtebb at alternatives.com
Sat Feb 28 02:39:27 CST 2004

Hi Jonathon,

You make a good point. While I am an anarchist at heart, there is no
way to build cob over 100 round feet in public spaces in Vancouver
(nor in private space) without a permit or code. At this point the
code folks are not getting too involved. They are just curious and
our structure is under 100 round feet. They are also very supportive.
What has happened on the Gulf Islands here in BC is that the permits
folks are allowing cob buildings which is good but they have to be
built with post and beam, thus non-loadbearing, which is perhaps bad.
So it is kinda like a compromise. We are building a loadbearing cob
structure and I am hoping that we can show/prove to the city
engineers and code folks that it is solid, and with some testing
behind us, perhaps we can get approval for a larger fully loadbearing
and officially permitted cob building the following year in
Vancouver. I feel confident that as long as we build well, engineers
will be comfortable allowing cob. The problem on the Gulf Islands is
that the permits people knew nothing about cob apart from a little
they read, so they went with what they knew. It is likely that we
will be beefing up our building a bit, particularly around seismic
concerns, which are important here in Vancouver. This shouldn't take
away from the spirit of cob building (its affordability, use of local
materials, hand-built, etc.) but will go a long way to allieviating
the fears of engineers and code people.

Does anyone know of any cob buildings in cities in North America that
were built in public spaces (or private) that received permits? What
are people's experiences with city officials?