[Cob] cob in vancouver

Ian Marcuse dtebb at alternatives.com
Thu Feb 26 11:12:42 CST 2004

While we have anecdotal info on earthquakes, I wonder if anyone or
group has had the opportunity to do such testing on curved cob walls.
How did you design your testing? What variables did you look at? We
will be working with a siesmic engineer who will help us of course.
One thing that they are advising for earthen buildings (I don't
recall exactly the form, perhaps adobe) is to wrap or build into the
walls a wire mesh. He agreed that straw would likely work in the same
way. It would be interesting to test for different levels of straw
content. Anyhow, yes, I hope that we will be able to provide data and
other info on our website.

I also remember that otherfish (if I am correct) has put together a
program for cob testing. What has come of this? Is anyone familiar
with the New Zealand Standards? What is missing? What needs to be
done?

Our city administration here in Vancouver is now ready to develop
code for cob here in the city as we have engineers and code
developers working with us. I have been putting together resources
for them. Does anyone have experience developing cob code? I welcome
any thoughts and ideas on developing a cob testing program that we
may be able to undertake at the University.

Regards,
Ian Marcuse