[Cob] National Park Service earthbag construction

mudhome at netzero.net mudhome at netzero.net
Thu Feb 26 12:49:04 CST 2004

At 09:24 PM 2/25/2004 -0500, Mary Hooper wrote:
>http://www.calearth.org/3vaults.htm
>
>the last photo on this page shows vaulted bags....right? but what's that odd
>looking white stuff on top of the bags?

I think that's a window in an earthbag endwall. There are other windows
that shape visible way at the far end of the next vault (the vault that's
offset to the left).

At 08:06 AM 2/26/2004 -0500, Patrick Newberry wrote:
>THe white stuff is snow. Cal earth is located in the high desert area of
>California.

Snow, huh? I thought it was some kind of scratch coat... wasn't even sure
it was white in real life after I clicked on it and peered at the larger
version - camera flashes that close and/or bright sun can was wash things
out pretty severly.

>Interesting enough, the building with the snow on the right, the covering
>made from balls of stabilized earth made and placed one at a time. Of
>course you can get a crew of people making the balls and it can go fast.
>The reason for this was that Nader figured the cement often cracks due to
>expansion and contration. Especially in the hot desert. The By using the
>balls he is sort of predefining where the cracks will be. He then calks
>the cracks with some type of lime mix I believe.

Yes, I also thought these blobs were supposed to be placed on shingle
style. Let me see what Paulina Wojciechowska's book has to say...

"With the addition of some stabilizers the render applied to the domed or
vaulted parts of the structure becomes more brittle, and cracks can occur
through expansion and contraction with extreme temperature changes, as
discussed above. This movement can be controlled through the fragmentation
of the render mass. By placing the render in small "patties," a textured
finish can provide thermal variation throughout the whole surface of the
structure, creating air movement due to the temperature differential
between the sun zone and shade zone within the render itself, never
allowing the surface to overheat. As one side of a rounded patty heats up,
the other cools down. This surface has been used for centuries in African
villages and is prevalent in nature, for example in the scales of a fish or
the trunks of trees.

Application
Once you have chosen the right stabilized mix (clay, lime, cement, etc.),
apply a "scratch" coat to fill in large cavities and create the desired
overall shape. Leave any irregularities in the surface so the second coat
has somewhere to key into. To achieve the bubbly effect, patties of
stabilized soil are placed like roof tiles, overlapping each other,
starting at the base (like laying tiles) and working up the structure.
Stagger the cracks so water will run down the grooves (see the photo on
page 91)."

Building With Earth is available for $25 from Charmaine:
http://store.yahoo.com/dirtcheapbuilderbooks/builwiteargu.html

or the publisher:
http://www.chelseagreen.com/2004/items/364

on sale for $22.45:
http://store.solarlivingstore.com/buwiea.html

from some people at The Hollies for 32.50 euros:
http://www.walnutbooks.com/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/60/products_id/83

amazon, etc....

Sarah