[Cob] icynene and isocyanates

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 26 12:53:43 CST 2004

Do I qualify if they gave me a C in quantitative analysis on condition that
I never darken the door of the Chemistry department again?

Apparently methyl diisocyanate is a very useful ingredient.  No CFC's, no
formaldehyde--that list of negatives that they used to show us why Icynene
is so healthful.  And I don't think that everyone is sensitive--I'm not sure
if I am.  But "isocyanates" as used in automotive paint 20+ years ago could
be deadly.  They may be pretty dangerous in general.

Here's the Canadian site of what looks like the makers of Icynene.  Not the
puff piece from icynene.com

http://www.oceta.on.ca/profiles/icynene/icynene_tech.html

About the third page down--"Product Operation" we get this:

"....manufactured and installed on-site using two components that are
heated, pressurized, and blended to react and rapidly expand at a ratio
100:1. The two components are 1) isocyanate MDI [methyl diisocyanate] and 2)
a proprietary water-based resin formulation, which is a blend of polyols,
surfactants, and catalysts. The product is applied in a liquefied state
using a metering unit or "proportioner." The water-based resin reacts with
the isocyanate MDI to produce C02, which acts as the foaming agent.
Expansion is thus achieved without the use of CFC's, HCFC's or methylene
chloride as auxiliary blowing agents. The two product components are applied
at a 1:1 ratio and are supplied to certified installers in separate,
non-pressurized drums."

Deerwood site turned out to be for synthetic timbers, but as I said,
isocyanates are very useful compounds.

For the rest of the stuff--catalysts make things happen, surfactants
are--possibly among other things--detergents, no idea what polyols are.

Organic, when it refers to chemistry, means that the compound has carbon and
hydrogen in it, sometimes just carbon-based.  Just a word.  Not good or bad.

Mary Hooper asks:
Will someone with expertise in chemisty  explain in everyday terms how we
got from icynene to isocyanates -for those of us who flunked chemistry.
I looked at the deerwod  site and saw nothing about icynene. It seems to me
that starch and veggie compounds might not require toxic materials to
create....but I don't, as you can tell, quite follow the thread here.

Watch high-quality video with fast playback at MSN Video. Free!