[Cob] icynene and isocyanates

Quinn quinn1 at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 26 16:08:07 CST 2004

I don't have a degree in chemistry by any means.  I sent along the information about icynene, which Amanda re-posted, because icynene is made from methyl diisocyanate as the site, and my post, state.  In the icynene.com site where they are *promoting* the by-product of methyl diisocyanate they make no mention of where methyl diisocyanate comes from or how toxic it is.

I sent out the second link, the new-fangled lumber, because it contained information about methyl diisocyanate itself and how toxic it is.  I thought it would be of interest to know that it may be benign in its final incarnation, but the making of the ingredients of icynene is highly dangerous, toxic and involves fumes, nasty chemicals and pollution of air, water and possibly soil depending on where those precursor chemicals end up.

Sorry if people couldn't follow that.

In particular I had sent this information because someone (Mary) had inquired as to the manufacture of icynene.

<snip>> One thing I try to
think of in this most environmentally destructive 21st century is what
things are made of and what happens to the people and the environment where
products are manufactured. I kind of think, from the name, that that is a
consideration here. Thanks for any info. Mary

Those who are concerned about a green and sustainable future might hesitate at a "fabulous", but NIMBY, product.

Quinn