[Cob] offtopic; clay and coffee

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 2 08:02:19 CST 2004

There are a couple of replies that I haven't read yet.  This has never
stopped me before!

Shortest answer: The summer I spent in Mexico, people roasted their coffee
on their camal--clay griddle--washed it well, then cooked tortillas on it as
well.  On their wood fire.

They ground the coffee on the metate--stone surface used for grinding nearly
everything.  My recollection is that it took less time than the manual
coffee grinder, about the same as the inexpensive burr grinder.  But the
metate and the rolling-pin thing they ground with were both over a foot
wide.

If you used jewelry-type or bathtub-type enamel in your popcorn popper, I'd
worry about the heating/cooling cycles being very hard on the coating.  I
don't much like broken glass anywhere.  (I seem to remember that, yes, glass
is a ceramic)

I used to know where to find directions for roasting your own coffee.  That
one's gone now, but a search on--roast your own coffee--gets a couple of
useful looking links like this one:
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0GER/2002_Summer/89646378/p1/article.jhtml?term=

Jonathan Walther asks (snipped):

I have been buying organic green coffee beans and roasting them myself
using my hot-air popcorn maker.  Unfortunately, it is melting down, even
when I fill the butter tray with ice cubes.

Are clay and ceramics the same thing?  Is it hard to make a solid
ceramic, similar to the type they used to coat the old cast iron
bathtubs?