[Cob] for Jonathon & his hotair popper

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Mon Mar 8 01:41:38 CST 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 11:20:46AM +0900, D.J. Henman wrote:
>  First you realize that coffee beans need to be fermented first?   Are
>you doing this.

I buy organic green beans which already have the mucilage fermented off.

>  Green beans do not make coffee.

True, so I always roast the beans until they are no longer green.

>  Next don't use a popcorn popper or other device out of speck like you
>were trying.  It invites disaster.   Melting you mentioned is only the
>first step to a disaster.

Yes, I found out the specs for popcorn maker says to turn it off after
4-5 minutes.  Coffee needs up to 8 minutes at those temperatures.  But
the internal electronics and motor can handle more than 8 minutes; which
is why I am interested in making a custom outer shell that can handle
the heat too, and incorporate an egg-timer to turn the power off at a
precise time.

>You don't need fancy ceramics etc..

I have a low budget, and am in cramped apartment, with no room to build
a cob oven.  Am interested in a cheap, but workable solution.  Ceramics
seem to be out; cob seems to be out.  My alternatives seem to be
metalwork, or homebrew geopolymer.

Thanks for your reply, Darrel.

Jonathan

--
Address: 13685 Hilton Road, Surrey, BC V3R5J8 (Canada)
Contact: 604-951-4142 (between 7am and 10pm, PST)