[Cob] Re: Sanders' cob staircase

mudhome at netzero.net mudhome at netzero.net
Thu Mar 4 22:09:16 CST 2004

Barbara,

It tapers to a good width for a handrail. Being so tall, swooping, and
smoothly tapered makes it hard to tell how much thicker the base is. The
top edge is slim for cob, but perhaps not quite as thin as the impression
created by the scale of it's surroundings. In any case, it felt perfectly
sturdy. As of when I was there (early fall) it was still unfinished -
awaiting the preferences of whoever ends up buying the house.

The structure to the east of the courtyard (labeled "storage" on the
floorplan) is also cob. There are no photos of that part in that book (nor
in any other that I'm aware of).

Sarah