[Cob] Cobbing ideas for Kids

Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Mon Mar 15 20:04:44 CST 2004

Linda...I taught a batch of 18-22 yr old Americorps members  to teach young
children about natural building with the "plaster on a basket" method, and I
recommend it.,

I started by talking about how young girls learned from their mothers and
grandmothers in a village how to  plaster and repair the home...and this was
an empowering thing, as women could express themselves creatively and
artistically by  fancy painting around the windows and doors, etc.    and that
all people can build their home...

look at any of the older building books on Africa, etc like "Spectacular
Vernacular" or the new "Built by Hand" book for  images of woman and people
building. Also the Steen calendar from last year had all images of children
building with mud...contact me offlist I may have a copy leftover you can have
to show.

Small wicker and straw baskets can be had for 10 cents-50cents in any thrift
store, or a local florist may sell them  as a batch.

Making the clay-sand-fiber by mixing it in  plastic  dishpans or popcorn  size
bowls is easy, and smearing on the palster is fun.

They can bring small things to embedd like seashells, old keys, small plastic
beads, buttons, etc...

have fun with it!

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
http://www.papercrete.com