[Cob] (no subject)

Lee Shultz lee.shultz at westrimcrafts.com
Fri Apr 2 22:44:39 CST 2004

Hi, David.

You know, you could build cob houses for people and give people beautiful homes for much less (since the materials could be very inexpensive), and you could still make a good profit. And hopefully these people would not have to have a mortgage. (Though I think the owners would be missing something special not to at least help in the building process.)

I remember a point made by Charles Long in his book, "How to Surive Without a Salary:" most people work an average of 15 years just to pay for a roof over their heads, whether they rent or own. Considering that, can anyone afford not to take time off to build for themselves? And I know many people who have done it, and I plan on being one of them soon.

Sorry, a 30 year mortgage, or any mortgage for that matter, really, really, really, really sucks. If one has a job they love and also makes enough money in that job to pay the mortgage, he or she will probably not feel enslaved. But most people find themselves in high-stress jobs they hate to pay the mortgage. I would think that would feel a lot like endentured servitude. And especially when the job is a 70-hour a week job. Our technology in the US is getting better and better, but most people are working longer and longer hours. And this reminds me of something Laurie Anderson said: "We are in a race with speed."

Well, the hell with that race. I would rather own my own life.

Bye for now,

Beverly