[Cob] about greenhouses...

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 3 16:51:14 CST 2004

I wrote a nice little message, and then hotmail ate it!

It sounds doable.  If I were doing it myself, I'd ask someone who presumably
knows about rubble trench foundations, if that will impact on the house's
foundation--or whatever it has.  Also about tying it to the house at the
top.  I expect you'll need a plate all the way around, but I don't know
about flashing to the house, and overhangs from the house.

and DRAINAGE DRAINAGE DRAINAGE.

Drain to daylight from the bottom of the rubble trench.  Kep water off of
both the greenhouse AND the existing structure.  Keep water off of cob walls

If I were doing most of the work myself, I'd seriously consider putting up
the roof first--or after the foundation anyway.

May not need much in the way of clear on the top. (some friends have a
little all-clear add-on greenhouse, complete with water barrels for heat
storage.  In winter they open a hole into the house that has a fan in it,
thermostatically switched to warm the house when it gets to 80 in the
greenhouse.  It's on a LOT.  In summer they put up shade-cloth and open a
large handful of vents.
Kate Samson wrote:

I've never built with cob before and I am interested
in attaching a cob greenhouse to the side of a (gasp!)
manufactured home. My idea for the greenhouse is a
simple cob framework and floor enclosing large pieces
of unframed glass. Does anyone have any suggestions
for me? Any advice would be great.

Premium!