[Cob] Building Codes and Testing

CM Hellwinckel chellwin at utk.edu
Mon Apr 5 15:15:39 CDT 2004

Hi Charity,

I'm in the same situation that you're in.  We also have a corner lot in
a crowded neighborhood.
I 'felt out' the inspector by calling him up, giving a fake name and
address and asked him about the building of a 'mother-in-law' house in
the backyard.  I determined based on that conversation that he would not
take well to new building materials.so we went for option #2.

We are building an 8 foot tall cob wall around the parameter of the
yard, thus blocking any view into the backyard.
In about 6 months when the walls are all built, we'll start on the
'cottage out back.  I'm going to keep it small.under the 120 sqft
maximum for 'un-permitted' outbuildings.if nothing happens in 1
year.we'll expand it.

Don't know if this'll help you, but just wanted to share our game-plan
as our situations sound similar!
Cheers,