[Cob] Dome Roof + Cob Planter ?

Clint Popetz clint at ucimc.org
Thu Apr 8 20:10:11 CDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 08:51:03PM -0400, Quinn wrote:
> > -Clint
> > (Who would really like to try
> > thatch but has been scared off)
> >

> What has scared you off thatch, Clint?

Reed canary grass is highly invasive and descructive to wetlands in
these parts, so I'm not going to plant it, and I don't know of a good
locally-growable replacement for use in thatch.  I've heard that wheat
straw might work, but I don't know of an example.  Wheat straw
definitely wouldn't shed water like reeds, IMHO.

Besides that, I don't know any thatchers, and the only thatched homes
I've been in were in Guatemala, and well, they leaked :)  I just don't
hear of a lot of thatching this side of the pond.

If I could apprentice myself to someone for a weekend thatching, that
would be great.  Roofing seems to me to be one of the "final
frontiers" for building in a sustainable way.  My greenhouse has an
EPDM liner...which works beautifully but is definitely not natural.

			-Clint