[Cob] Dome Roof + Cob Planter ?

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Thu Apr 8 22:11:58 CDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Clint Popetz wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 08:51:03PM -0400, Quinn wrote:
> > > -Clint
> > > (Who would really like to try
> > > thatch but has been scared off)
> > >

> > What has scared you off thatch, Clint?
>
> Reed canary grass is highly invasive and descructive to wetlands in
> these parts, so I'm not going to plant it, and I don't know of a good
> locally-growable replacement for use in thatch.  I've heard that wheat
> straw might work, but I don't know of an example.  Wheat straw
> definitely wouldn't shed water like reeds, IMHO.
[snip]

Phragmites Communis (the preferred material for Northern European
style thatching) grows naturally in swampier areas and along river banks
in many areas throughout the world.  Not sure where you are located, but
you might check.  Wheat and some other straws are also used traditionally
for thatching (and work just fine), however, you need to plant the older
varieties, modern ones have been bred to create shorter, inferior stalks
so they put all their energy into growing the grain.  Reed thatch is good
for 50 to 70 years if done right, wheat is good for 20 to 25 years.

You might also look into other thatching techniques used for working with
non grass/reed stalk type materials such as large (typically tropical)
tree/bush leaves, broad leaf swamp grasses (with little or no stalk), and
some brush like materials (I think scotch broom or similar plants).

FWIW.