[Cob] Cob: grow-your-own thatch

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 16 07:37:53 CDT 2004

But it might be fun experimenting.  My friends who are serious about bread
say that they can tell the difference between store-bought and recently
harvested home-grown wheat.  What they grew sounded like a sizeable garden
plot's worth, but not a field's.

Also on that non-cob topic, you might look at the Fukuoka "One Straw
Revolution" on the subject of growing ones own grains--non-cob especially
because he thinks that the straw should be left to replace nutrients that
growing the grain have mined from the soil and since he also double crops,
it also acts as protection for the young grain.

conversation between Ted and Marlin (snipped)

So I guess b-4 trying to grow a huge amount of thatch as wheat I'd want to
hear that disputed (heard 10-15 year aprox life to the caps made of wheat)

Marlin
Does anyone know how many acres of Wheat one would have to plant to thatch a
medium sized cottage (say 900 square feet)

Ted