[Cob] Thatching

SUSAN EVANS susansevans at msn.com
Fri Apr 16 23:52:31 CDT 2004

You might want to try some of the folks at historic sites in the US - Plimoth Plantation (Massachusetts) has some buildings with thatch - I believe they grown their own and do the work, of course.  I believe Jamestown (Virginia) also had some thatched buildings.

They may be able to direct you to a source for seed if you want to grow your own.

Sue Evans

 The problem with using wheat now is finding long straw
wheat.

Reed thatching has come in to greater favor where traditionally it was
relegated mostly to the East, because of the price of labor to get a roof
thatched.

BTW, you might also think of other sources for your thatch.