[Cob] Double walls

Raduazo at aol.com Raduazo at aol.com
Thu Apr 22 06:01:46 CDT 2004

Jane:
    I just got back from helping to build a bail cob wall in Wales. The
construction technique was as follows: A cob wall was constructed having a
thickness of the width of a bale + 4 inches, and a 4 inch thick wall 4 inches high was
built on the inside of the wall. The wall curved outward for an arc of about
10-20 degrees. Two bails of straw were placed widthwise on the wall and a pike
was driven into the wall and used to jam the two bails together against a
vertical surface of wall of the cob wall and while being held there wet cob was
jammed into all cracks and interfaces between the bale and the cob wall. Once
the two bales were anchored another bale was added and then another till the
opening was filled from pillar to post. The inner 4 x 4 wall was then built up
to the top of the bale. The outer surface of the bales will later be covered
with cob plaster. The bales were very secure and did not wobble or move once
they had been cobbed in.
    I have pictures but cannot send them to the coblist.
Ed