[Cob]plasters

Dorothy Bothne dbothne54 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 28 16:48:39 CDT 2004

--- dorethy at juno.com wrote asking about plasters
(snip)

> Does anyone have hints or shortcuts to help me
eliminate the options that obviously won't work, to
make my determinations? >
> Dorethy

Dorethy,
We use a cement mixer and mix 1 50# bag of hydrated
lime (available at Home Depot), 2 70# bags of general
purpose sand, enough water for a smooth consistency
and some concrete color if you want something other
than white.
first we even out the surface with a nice mud plaster
(same ingredients as regular cob) then we use 2 to 3
coats of the lime mixture over the dried mud plaster.
we wait at least a couple of days to a week between
coats.
the first coat of plaster always cracks, but the
second and third coats are just fine.  And I like the
look of the rough texture so I don't smooth the
plaster too much.
I know that there are others out there who will gasp
at our process and I may get alot of negative
comments, but it's working great for us.
Dorothy