[Cob] (no subject)

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Tue Apr 27 12:41:27 CDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 dorethy at juno.com wrote:

[snip]
> to read another book.  So many books have so many different ideas--some
> say 3 layers, others say 4 to 6 or even more, and I'm confused.  Maybe
> there aren't any shortcuts and I must put down enough base coat test
> patches to test all the possible second and third layers--this could be
[snip]

I have seen excellent plaster work done in just one coat, but you
need to be willing to take your time to get a good finished surface
(unless you're me and anything that covers the wall works for you :-)
Generally most people will probably want to do at least two coats, one to
fill in holes, smooth out irregularities and generally clean up the wall
surface (unless your wall is pretty good to start with) and one (or more
if you like) finish coat.  The reason to go this route is that a highly
irregular wall may take quite a bit of plaster to give it an even surface,
and do you want to be wasting lots of your nicest plastering ingredients
(special clays, extra lime, fine sand, etc.) to just be filler in the
wall.  There have been a number of postings about plasters to the coblist
in the past, you may want to search the archives:

   http://www.deatech.com/natural/coblist/