[Cob] dog hair cob or plaster

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 29 19:10:12 CDT 2004

I've wondered if dog undercoat was too fine, although when I put clumps of
blonde Major and black CB hair in my lime putty the hair seemed to still be
there, well dispersed, a month or so later when I was chinking a log cabin.
How much strength it added I've no idea.

Wool might be too long, too prone to clump and tangle.  If you could find
some that was too short to use for wool, it would probably work beautifully
in a plaster, maybe not cob.  Horse and pig hair seem to be the traditional
ones to use there.

Don't know if we've ever talked about dog hair, except to say that it
sounded like a good use for the stuff--probably to use in plasters where
some kind of hair is traditional, not cob itself.

We HAVE talked about using wool fleeces as INSULATION in ceilings.  Wool is
used as fireproofing in cotton bat futons, untreated, uncombed, unwashed, it
is pretty bug-proof.  Maybe the smell in the attic would not be a problem.

Caroline wrote:

Interesting, our dogs are blowing their coats too, what a mess.  If dog hair
works does sheep wool?  Wool prices are very low here, that might be a good
alternative too.  Sorry if that is a newbie question, but I only have time
to scan the list, and have had some computer problems lately, so if I missed
an explaination, sorry.