[Cob]plasters

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 30 09:00:13 CDT 2004

   Cat here, A local said that this 'white wash" is somtimes
   called "Alabaster" It was put over wood surfaces to keep the bugs
   away.  Would anyone know if it is toxic in indoor use, out gasing, or
   dust particals??

   for the good of all C.
   >From: "Patrick Newberry" <PNewberry at HFHI.org> >To:
   <coblist at deatech.com> >Subject: RE: [Cob]plasters >Date: Thu, 29 Apr
   2004 08:53:45 -0400 > >rather than an actual plaster, I find a lime
   wash works fine for cob. What I do is make a white wash mix with lime,
   basicallyI use hydrated lime and water. I lightly spray the cob wall
   with water to get it damp, then with a big old paint brush, brush on
   the lime wash. The first coat mixed in and bonds with the cob. I add
   two more coats and it's nice and white. No heavy mixing, a single 5
   gallon container is what I mix it up in and it goes on quite fast. >
   [mailto:dbothne54 at yahoo.com] >Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 5:49 PM
   >To: coblist at deatech.com >Subject: Re: [Cob]plasters > > > >---
   dorethy at juno.com wrote asking about plasters >(snip) > > > > Does
   anyone have hints or shortcuts to help me >eliminate the options that
   obviously won't work, to >make my determinations? > > > Dorethy > > >
   >Dorethy, >We use a cement mixer and mix 1 50# bag of hydrated >lime
   (available at Home Depot), 2 70# bags of general >purpose sand, enough
   water for a smooth consistency >and some concrete color if you want
   something other >than white. >first we even out the surface with a
   nice mud plaster >(same ingredients as regular cob) then we use 2 to 3
   >coats of the lime mixture over the dried mud plaster. >we wait at
   least a couple of days to a week between >coats. >the first coat of
   plaster always cracks, but the >second and third coats are just fine.
   And I like the >look of the rough texture so I don't smooth the
   >plaster too much. >I know that there are others out there who will
   gasp >at our process and I may get alot of negative >comments, but
   it's working great for us. >Dorothy > > > >