[Cob] Stave option-tree poles for cold climate insulation

Charmaine Taylor-dirtcheapbuilder tms at northcoast.com
Tue May 4 12:42:20 CDT 2004

WHILE THIS IS NOT COB RELATED...STAVE BUILDING WITH UPRIGHT LOGS HAS  ( opps
caps)

been done by Ken Kern back in the 70s & 80s.  he SPLIT the log down the center
to make two tall pieces with a flat side each.

he then stands one series of them up in a circle with flat faces -  facing OUT
then came back and placed the next series  around the first circle with flat
faces facing IN..but OFF center , so the flat parts touched  in the center
point.

So imagine two circles  touching face to face, with the flat parts shifted
enough to cover each other.  this means NO gaps...where two outer edges come
together the INNER flat surface spans them, leaving no gaps or air holes.
chinking can be done along each join inside and out with cob, but the air
infiltration is highly reduced, and insulation value of solid wood is ensured.

I think I need to scan the page from  the Kern book to show...kinda hard to
describe.!  But a VERY clever use of pole with MINIMAL working of the material.

Charmaine  Taylor
http://dirtcheapbuilder.blogspot.com/   resources for building/lime plasters