[Cob] Stave option-tree poles for cold climate insulation

Charmaine Taylor-dirtcheapbuilder tms at northcoast.com
Tue May 4 16:18:17 CDT 2004

A listee emailed with the foundation question off list...

and  I forgot to add that Kern advocated a 1/2 inch flexible insulation between
the log attachments.

this is from the  wood chapter in his original book "The owner built home."

he called it palisade ( after pioneer fort styles with upright logs... Stave is
the Norwegian word used, and tiny stave churches are still in use there.

however Kern does state is is a dangerous and difficult way to build, not that
earth friendly unless scrap trees are ALL you have to work with in a remote
area..  Still would be better to use the poles as roof supports, etc and not
main walls.

BUT they embed them right into the ground way back when.  So setting up a
different system is necessary for modern builders.   there are many techniques
for  foundation building so one would have to be chosen, other than  embedding
the posts inside a slip form stone base ( say 2'-3' ft high) may be an option,
the design he shows is circular, so the walls will support themselves in
upright position when finished, but DURING.. well....I dunno enough to say.
As Ferris Buhelers teacher said...class?...class?  ( again this is NOT cob
related so a cob& stone base?

this should go off list at this point...grin

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
http://www.papercrete.com
http://dirtcheapbuilder.blogspot.com/