[Cob] What About African Grass for Straw in Cob Mix?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue May 4 18:09:16 CDT 2004

Rice straw, sure.

"capim"?  how long does it last as a roof?  if a good long time--however
defined!--AND if it seems to be strong when wet, like in a cob mix--then
sure.

But also ask--how long do the just plain mud (brick, wattle and daub, how??)
houses last.  If basic maintenance for as long as it is occupied is renewing
the sacrificial coating on the outside and putting a new roof on it, then
cob might not be any improvement.  You'd get to renew the
sacrificial/decorative in that area? coating just as often.

Are houses abandoned or even torn down when the women who occupied them die?
  Is shorter building life due to social causes or to construction failure?
I don't know anything at all about the area, just asking.

Earthquake frequency? might make cob a better idea.

(It's not really necessary to copy everything that might be in a thread when
you compose a message.)

;-)

Kyle and Ginger write:

Hello, I'm writing this email from Mocambique.  I am planning on moving
out into the bush and working with the rural people in the north of the
country.  I want to build a simple house with cob.  Many of the people
here obviously build earthen houses, but they do not use straw in their
mud mix.  I am wanting to expirement with cob here to see if it could be
a good development project with housing that lasts longer and is
stronger.  Anyway, I am looking into the types of straw that I could
use.  The people grow rice, so maybe I could use rice straw.  But many
people use the "capim" or high grass for their straw roofs.  This straw
is not a hollow straw.  It is basically a really tall grass.  Any
thoughts?  Would this "capim" work with cob?  Or is this the hay stuff I
need to stay away from?  Any wisdom and help would really help.  Thanks

Kyle