[Cob] plaster over stucco

jenny walker jwalker at magma.ca
Sat May 8 10:37:19 CDT 2004

Hi there,

we've just bought a tiny house just out of town at the bottom of a beautiful
south facing mountain. Its 526sq. feet and we're a family of four so we'd
like to do a cob/strawbale or cobwood addition. The present house (one level
gable), has vinyl siding. Under that is wood  siding and under that is a
pink/grey looking stucco. It was built in the 30s and was lifted onto a
foundation in 1955. My question is, is it possible to do an earth plaster
over old stucco? Maybe with a high straw content for added insulation. We
may see what the shape the wood underneath is. I'd like to do away with the
vinyl though and make it look more cohesive with a natural addition. I also
want to give the whole structure a living roof. All this is if codes allow
of course. Does anyone have any experience with adding a cob, strawbale or
cordwood addition to a regular stick frame house? I imagine with shrinkage
that there'd be issues to work around.

Many thanks,

Jenny (Ottawa, Canada)