[Cob] bumblebees, Asphalt paint a failure...

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sun May 9 08:41:13 CDT 2004

Not bumblebees, carpenter bees.  Look slightly different, behave
differently.  If you have exposed wood, for instance, overhanging rafters,
you'll get them, at least in the part of the country I live in.  In the
woods they help break down dead trees.  But we'd just as soon not have that
in our buildings.

I'm VERY sorry to report that asphalt horse fence paint DOESN'T WORK to
deter them.  Maybe AE or lime?

Woodpeckers are advertising for a mate when they go rat-a-tat-tat on your
house, cob might not be loud enough.  A metal roof, flashing somewhere,
though?  Ooooh!
Jill writes:

anyway, we currently have industrious little bumble bees making  the wooden
overhang of "our" back porch into swiss cheese. ("our" because we rent) it's
got us thinking about bumble bees, woodpeckers and other critters and cob -
do you run into the same problems with cob that you may expect with wood
houses?

Getting married? Find tips, tools and the latest trends at MSN Life Events.
http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=married