[Cob] personal stories/building projects

Lee Shultz lee.shultz at westrimcrafts.com
Wed May 19 14:23:00 CDT 2004

Welcome, Ruthie.

Great idea! I would LOVE to hear everyone's story, too. Here's mine:

I read about building with cob a little over a year ago. My jaw was on the floor! It appealed to me on so many levels - artistically it's a dream come true, it's environmentally friendly, it's healthy (no toxic material, etc.), and it certainly appeals to my need for independence (low cost, sturdy building that I can do mostly myself or with a work party). It also helps a great deal in my transition to living a conserver lifestyle, rather than a consumer lifestyle.

I read everything I could get my hands on about cob, then took a cob basics workshop with the Cob Cottage Company, which was fantastic. (I had no background in building before that, though I have created sketches of building designs and have an interset in architecture.) We built part of a two-story duplex in the workshop. I completely loved it.

I am looking for land on which to build. I'm not sure where it will be yet. I'm looking in  CA, AZ, NM, OR, Mexico, and Vancouver Island, right now. If anyone has any ideas on the best places to build with cob, any advice would be appreciated.

A short bio: My education is in music, psychology, and computer science. Right now I am a technical writer (an independent contractor) by trade. I write software and systems engineering manuals. I want to work dealing with environmental issues soon, though. I live in CA, on the central coast, though I grew up in PA.

That's it.

I can't wait to get back to cobbing!

Cheers,

Beverly Shultz