[Cob] Permits a new a nonprofit corp., The Resourcery

Clint Popetz clint at ucimc.org
Wed May 19 19:33:26 CDT 2004

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 05:11:07PM -0700, Lee Shultz wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I recently (March 2004) attended a Cob Cottage Co cob basics
> workshop. One of the other attendees wants me to pass the following
> of her emails along. They are about getting permits for building
> with cob, and a new non-profit corporation she just created called
> The Resourcery. She is in Seattle. Her emails follow.

Do you have her email address?

> I am working with my building inspector to use the International
> Building Code that becomes law of the land in July of 2004.  I have
> found a physicist that will give good reports about the load bearing
> and sheer factors of cob.  I have started a nonprofit corp., The
> Resourcery, and would like your help in getting the word out that I
> want to help folks get permits under this new section.  I'll keep
> you posted.

Just today I started the process of preparing to apply for a permit to
build a cob building in my backyard (this one is over the 100 ft2
limit, so I have to have a permit or move to the country.)  The first
thing I realized is that I need numbers for compressive and shear
strength of cob.  I think I'll need a range, because it surely varies
with length of straw, type of soil, type of sand, and proportions.

Does anyone know of a reference with these numbers, or even better, of
an existing building code for load bearing cob?  My city uses the BOCA
'90 code.  It basically punts (albeit kindly) on alternative
materials, so I need an architect to approve my plans and make a case
to the city for the safety of the building, which means being able to
prove(!) that a 1.5' thick one-story circular wall with an internal
floor area of 200 ft2 will support a gabled roof, and that means
having strength numbers for cob.  (I think that pretty pictures in the
Hand Sculpted House won't cut it :)

			Thanks,
			-Clint