[Cob] Earth Plaster: Washington, DC

Raduazo at aol.com Raduazo at aol.com
Fri May 21 06:35:28 CDT 2004

    This is just a reminder that I will be offering a class on earth plasters
Sunday at Green Spring Gardens Park. Anyone who wishes may stop by and get
lessons on applying earth plaster to an existing structure (The Children's
Playhouse).
    We will be working with a typical "brown coat" consisting of horse manure
and screened clay in a two to one ratio, and for the first time ever I am
going to applying a large test strip Ollywood plaster to a full sized outdoor
structure. (Up to now I have only used Ollywood on wattle and daub birdhouses.)
    Ollywood of course is one part screened clay and two parts shredded
government documents. For those of you who do not live near a government center,
you can duplicate this mix by substituting premium quality bright white paper
shredded into 1/4 inch strips.
    I screen the clay through 1/4 inch screen first to remove the big rocks
and then screen it through window screen to get a really fine finish.
    To get to Green Spring Gardens,
                    Take the Beltway south to 395.
                    Take 395 north.
                    Take the exit onto Little River Turnpike West (Not Duke
Street)
                    Take a right on to Bradock Road.
                    Take a right at the bottom of the hill into Green Spring
Gardens.
    The Children's Playhouse is behind the administration building in the
Children's Garden.
Ed