[Cob] Natural Building in Community

Joseph Kennedy livingearth62 at hotmail.com
Fri May 21 13:43:04 CDT 2004

Natural Building in Community
June 7 – July 30, 2004
Emerald Earth Sanctuary, Boonville, CA

For more information or to request an application:
phone 707-972-3096; ask for Darryl or Michael
email lorax at ap.net
write    NBiC c/o Emerald Earth, PO Box 764, Boonville, CA 95415

This is a rare opportunity to develop natural building skills in the
stimulating environment of a rural intentional community. During the 8-week
program we will be constructing a hybrid natural cabin and finishing several
other structures. Each week will include 25-30 hours of supervised hands-on
building, 2-5 hours of “classroom” time, a communal work project such as
gardening, and an individual Natural Building research project. The program
will run Monday-Friday, with optional activities on some weekends.
Participants will be integrated into the dynamic social context of the
community, sharing meals, cooking and cleaning tasks, meetings, fun and
games with other residents. The supportive learning environment will focus
on developing skills not only in Natural Building but also in group living
and communication.

Things you will learn:
• Straw bale
• Cob
• Round pole framing
• Straw light-clay
• Earthen floors
• Natural plasters and finishes
• Rubble trench foundations
• Earthbags
• Sustainable materials harvesting
• Home power generation
• Passive solar design
• Organic gardening
• Structures and processes for Intentional Communities
• and lots more about Natural Building, rural homesteading, and living and
working in groups

Who should apply?
This program will take a whole-systems approach to Natural Building,
combining earth, straw, wood, sand and stone in various ways to create
inexpensive, efficient hybrid structures. This is a highly practical
program, with most time spent on hands-on building, supplemented by a
“classroom” curriculum that will be developed by the group as a whole and by
individual research projects. The group will be very small (maximum 6),
allowing lots of individual supervision and skill-building. It is
recommended for people who want to take their Natural Building education
further than is possible by attending short workshops or training in a
single technique, especially for owner-builders and for people working
towards a Natural Building career. The community setting will be most
interesting to those contemplating joining or starting a collective living
situation. No previous experience is required.

About the community:
Emerald Earth is a growing intentional community located on 189 acres in
rural Northern California. The land includes redwood forest, meadows,
majestic oaks, a seasonal creek and swimming pond. It is a 20-minute drive
from a small town, an hour from the nearest bank or movie theater. We have
15 permanent residents, including 3 children, and several short-term work
exchange. In the last 5 years we have built 4 hybrid natural cabins, 2
composting toilets, a greenhouse/bathhouse/sauna, and a power shed/workshop,
in addition to the pre-exisitng common house. We have expanded the
community’s water system, gardens and orchards, and endeavor to grow much of
our fresh food. We are off-grid, generating power by solar and (soon)
micro-hydro. Since 2000 we have taught a highly successful series of short
workshops on Natural Building, permaculture and organic gardening. In 2004
we plan to build more resident cabins, expand food production, and complete
several unfinished building projects. You can read more about us and see
photos at our web site, www.emeraldearth.org

About the instructors:
The main instructors for this program are Michael G. Smith and Darryl
Berlin. Both have been Emerald Earth residents for 5 years and have
extensive experience in many aspects of Natural Building and design. Michael
was a founding director of Cob Cottage Company in Oregon and has been
teaching Natural Building for 11 years. He is the author or co-author of The
Cobber’s Companion, The Art of Natural Building, and The Hand-Sculpted
House. Darryl installed and manages the community’s home power system and is
a partner in Village Power Design, providing alternative energy consulting
and installation. Other Emerald Earth members and guest instructors will
share their leadership and expertise.

Cost and application:
The 8-week program costs $2400, including instruction, on-site camping, and
organic, mostly vegetarian meals. We require a written application, and
encourage a visit to the community to meet the instructors and other
residents and to see the environment where they will be living, working, and
learning. If a visit is not possible, we will conduct a phone interview. A
$300 non-returnable deposit is due once applicants are accepted; the
remainder is payable at the beginning of the program, on June 7.