[Cob] cob raised beds?

Elizabeth Fox e.fox at att.net
Tue May 25 14:36:54 CDT 2004

On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:17:33 -0700 "Daveena T" <tauberd at comcast.net>
writes:

> I am interested in building raised beds out of something other than
> wood and
> I was wondering if cob could be an appropriate medium.  I like the
> idea of
> being able to build beds in interesting shapes rather than just
> straight
> lines.  I also like the possibility of building in little sitting
> areas or
> shrines.

I used cob for a garden retaining wall about 5' tall, backed the top couple of feet with gravel, and it stood through the winter at least.  We didn't get it plastered, so it's showing some mold and a few crack lines, but it's very strong.  It's about 4 inches thick, top to bottom, and leans into the raised garden by about 5 degrees.

So I'd say go for it.  Anything you don't have to spend more than 20 bucks for is worth trying out in my opinion.

Oh, since you live in Portland - go check it out.  The garden is on NW Kearney between 22nd and 23rd Aves on a "vacant" lot :-)

Have fun!

--

Our ability for greatness far
exceeds our desires.