[Cob] foundation rock type

211212 jillpruett at peoplepc.com
Fri Jun 25 12:01:19 CDT 2004

Hi-dee-ho everyone.

We are busy over here preparing land and house site... questions:

1. Our "soil" is almost entirely clay - on all 10 acres. How does this affect (if at all) the foundation, since clay expands and shrinks with the rain.

2. What is the best way to make drainage take the water away from the house, as the land has very little slope to it. I did read the books, but still not sure.

3. There are many rocks, of various sizes a fist size to the size of a bed pillow. They are called honeycomb rocks and look like swiss cheese. Can these be used for the foundation? Do I need to fill in the holes with cement or something? Suggestions?

4. Our home site is in Texas - hot during the summer. How does this affect the southern facing windows? Do I just rely on the roof overhangs? Or a porch or trellis overhead? Or do I angle it so I am not dead on facing south?

Thanks everyone!

Jill & gang

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet