[Cob] OT- cob/earth oven form - HELP

Quinn quinn1 at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 28 18:23:39 CDT 2004

Copper,

Really the form can be anything that can burn or be removed.  I wouldn't use plastic or anything, of course, but how about burlap bags (if you can't find them, use a roll of burlap and fold it up into 'pillows') filled with leaves, then put  paper mache over that.  That would give you the necessary 'stuffing' for the paper mache to be made on.  And make sure the paper mache is completely dry of course, (it should be probably done over several days so you have a thick enough layer to hold cob -but you also have the 'stuffing' supporting it) or it will shrink at a different rate and crack your cob.

You could puncture the bags and pull most of the leaves out, or just burn the whole kitn'kaboodle.  I don't see why paper mache wouldn't work, made with flour.  I know you said "papercrete" but why bother mixing mud into it?  That would leave you with the paper part burned and weaker mud in your inside layer, it seems to me.  Paper mache will burn off all together and leave just your solid cob oven.

Good luck.
Quinn