[Cob] OT- cob/earth oven form - HELP

Dognyard dognyard at stockroom.ca
Tue Jun 29 10:28:27 CDT 2004

You can use woven willows to make the form. Willow is fast growing and
doesn't mind donating a bit of itself to help a good cause :-). I use
willow for everything from trellises to tomato supports to furniture.
It's marvelous. It's bendable and can be used as the base of your form.
Then you can, as someone suggested, use either paper mache or burlap to
cover it to keep the cob from falling through, or just make the weave
tighter and don't use anything else over it but the cob. It will
eventually burn away - or you can cob both inside and outside of it and
leave it where it is forever.

Ukrainian settlers in this are used woven willow forms covered with a
form of cob not only to make ovens, but to make the chimneys as well.
Not something I would try in this day and age, but it's food for thought.

Karen in Alberta