[Cob] Adobe Floors

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 28 22:12:08 CDT 2004

Since it says "hello all" I think this was supposed to go to all us.  I'm no
expert.  I'm still waiting for my only try at a floor to dry enough that I
can remove the screed/decoration boards and repack those holes with a
different color mixture.

Yes, I think you can just go in with the same--or sandier mixture.  But,
next time, a bigger test, a sandier mixture might work better.  Might need
to dig an inch or so wide (maybe wider at bottom than top) line to pack with
a fairly dry mixture.

I didn't tell everyone the story of the potter last year telling me that the
real way to test a clay mixture was about 4 feet on a side, to the depth you
need.  (If you have a kiln that will fire it, if it needs to be fired--which
his did.)

My biggest test were about 18" wide, but I goofed because I didn't have it
in a form so I could tell how much it shrank.