[Cob] cob/earth oven form- over stove?

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Tue Jun 29 23:35:51 CDT 2004

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Charmaine Taylor wrote:

[snip]
> stick to the metal I was planning to just masivley enclose it from the
> ground up so no legs or base is seen. basically ignoring the metal and
> just enveloping it in cob  tips?
[snip]

Make the cob at least three inches thick around most of the metal parts to
give it better long term durability, though you may want it thinner (or
even bare) in one limited area to get some fast heat to your room, since
the covered areas will take time for the heat to propagate through.  After
the cob has been applied (while it is still wet), fire up the stove and
use it to partially dry/set the cob, this will help to reduce problems
with the cob breaking apart later, since when the stove expands from the
heat, the cob will be able to move without breaking, and then setup in the
proper location for a hot stove, otherwise, when the stove is fired up (if
the cob is dry when it's first fired), it will put alot more stress on the
cob.