[Cob] cubic feet per gallon.

Arthurhlevine at aol.com Arthurhlevine at aol.com
Thu Jul 1 02:08:00 CDT 2004

maybe way more than enough information?

my aplogies i didnt realize i didnt send the original post to the group until
just now! here it is followed by some mare information
<<But a cubic yard should be at least 20

5-gallon buckets of sand, shouldn't it?>>

well you back might think it should, but....

a 5 gallon bucket equals almost, and close enough for gov't work, 2/3 of 1
cubic foot

a cubic yard equals 27 cubic feet which equals:
 at three 5 gallon buckets per 2 cubic feet equals right at 40.5 five gallon
buckets of sand. have a fun filled day

from:   http://water.me.vccs.edu/hydraulics.htm

" A 12" x 12" x 12" container, one cubic foot, of water weighs
approximately 62.4 pounds. The total pressure exerted against the bottom
of the container is 62.4 lbs. Thus each square inch of the bottom of the
container has a pressure exerted against on it of 0.433 lbs. per sq. in.
(62.4 lbs. divided by 144 sq. in.). Water pressure is usually stated in
pounds per square inch (psi). So a column of water one foot high exerts
a pressure of 0.433 psi, or 0.43 psi.

The most common U.S. unit of measure of water is the gallon. A gallon of
water contains 231 cubic inches. The cubic foot container which we just
used contains 1728 cubic inches (12" x 12" x 12"). By dividing the 1728
cubic inches by 231 cubic inches, we find there are 7.481 gallons of
water in a cubic foot. It is necessary to deal with gallons per cubic
foot frequently and the approximation of 7.5 gallons per cubic foot is
normally used. One gallon of water weighs 8.34 lbs. (62.4 lbs. divided
by 7.48 gal.). "