[Cob] limewashing- Mould on cob wall

Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Thu Jul 1 15:41:40 CDT 2004

Jane, you can limewash the surface now with a thin coat of 1 cup soft
lime  putty to one gallon of clean water, and stir well, paint on with
a sloppy brush, it will go on clear and may whiten the wall somewhat or
look splotchy, initially, but if you will be plastering over it it will
not matter.

Also place lime in the next plaster too, even 2-6% by volume will aid
in any mold/antiseptic control, and strengthens the clay.

I often have buckets of clay-lime-sawdust mixes sitting around for
months ( closed lid)  with no growth of any kind.

lime putty is simply made by purchasing hydrated lime and soaking it in
clean water in a drum.  keep 3-6" of water over the top of the mix and
it will not harden.  yu cannot overwater the lime in the drum the putty
will settle under the water layer and mellow over time and stay
buttery.  do not stir up the whole thing to use the putty. just use a
sieve or colander to lift out the amount of lime putty needed, and
transfer to a clean pail to make a wash/plaster/mortar, etc.

http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/render.html    << plaster

http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/wash.html  < limewash

Charmaine Taylor Publishing  books at dirtcheapbuilder.com
PO Box 375 Cutten CA   95534 707-441-1632
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com  www.papercrete.com