[Cob] International Building Code

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Wed Jul 14 18:05:54 CDT 2004

Thoughts from Intaba's Restaurant:

During our wild ride with our local building department, I did some
research with the IBC, which governs the local building codes and is
available in our local county library system.  To my interest and
dismay, I am certain cob would be covered under the code which describes
"UNFIRED CLAY MASONRY" - this is where you will find rules regarding
adobe.  The dismay comes from the IBC requirement that a "stabilizing
agent" be added - usually asphalt emulsion or Portland cement - yuck!

Again, we were able to build a cob garden wall around our courtyard,
which under 6 feet in height requires no structural engineering.  The
cob in our oven was overlooked by the building officials as needing
structural review (!), though they required us to engineer as
concrete-and-rebar foundation for the oven, and specified a zero-pass
chimney for the roof penetration.

I'd be interested if anyone could research the codes in Victoria, BC,
where I've heard cob buildings are being code-approved!!!

Ocean