[Cob] Washington, DC cobbers: New Project

Raduazo at aol.com Raduazo at aol.com
Fri Jul 16 21:22:15 CDT 2004

    We (DC Cobbers) have a new project scheduled for the Washington, DC area.
It is a new children's playhouse to be constructed St. John's Episcopal
Preschool on O- street in Georgetown. After talking with the school principal, I am
personally very excited about this project. It is her goal to create a school
that will compare favorably with the ten best schools of it's type in the
world. I like the school, the environment and the people.
    Construction will be accomplished over a period of 5 or 6 days with the
participation (and hopefully a little assistance) from parents, children and
guests. We are planning to invite guests from the neighborhood and from adjacent
schools to come and work on the house. Since each day may consist of a
different group of people, then each day will include the same introduction to cob
lecture. A little boring in that sense, but good in that we should be able to
introduce a large number of people to cob.
    I hope some of you will be a thrilled as I am and willing to come in as
my assistant in exchange for learning a little about cob construction. I will
be building an urbanite foundation sometime in September. If you have never
tried stone working this is a great chance. I will not be building a full fledged
foundation for our little 4-6 foot walls, but the principles used to cut and
fit pieces of urbanite apply to all stone construction. This should take about
two days and those dates are not set. Since urbanite is an adult only
endeavor the exact days are flexible and can be set to suit the convenience of myself
and a volunteer assistant. The building days are October 4, 6, 8, 12, 18. I
hope it will not take that many days, but I am putting them on the calendar
just in case. You will notice that these are alternating days. That gives the cob
one day to dry between building days, and if it rains, the 4th automatically
gets bumped to the 5th and so on.
    I hope there are a few folks out there interested in learning cob. If
someone from outside the Washington, DC area is interested in coming down (or up)
they will be welcomed to camp out on one of my spare rooms.
    I will also be doing a rammed earth floor in August dates on that are
also flexible. I have never done this so, I will be working from directions in
The Sculpted House, and you will be learning along with me.
Ed