[Cob] alfalfa and weeds

Mary Lou McFarland louiethefifth at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 19 19:02:59 CDT 2004

What a great topic!!!  I haven't seen this many people jump on board for
awhile now.  I have to bring in another vote for the weeds.  I'm familiar
with alfalfa and when it dries then it REALLY flakes, so I'd vote "no" on it
for that reason.  The weeds on the other hand are very tough.  My good ol'
prairie weeds can slice your hands up when you try to pull them especially
when they start to dry  Which takes me back to another persons insight that
the original bale structures were hay not straw.  Good point and I have to
add that it wasn't cultured hay but tough prairie hay that was just the
grass the settlers found growing when they arrived, like big and little
bluestem and prairie peas and kansas gayfeathers.  What some of us now would
call weeds.  I had thought that the reason for using straw was that it was
hollow and therefore held air, and it was the entrapped air that gave the
insulative properties.  (Sorry, I can't remember who made what statement so
bear with me, I'm not trying to be rude)  Someone else thought that using
the weeds as a lightclay medium would work well.  I like that idea because I
have about four acres of tough grass that needs cut right now and if used
that way , I could store it as a hay mound instead of fussing with a baler
at all.   I also liked the reminder that we might be getting into a little
overkill with worrying about heat transfer through walls when 80% goes
through the roof.  Maybe we should shift our focus a little?  Let's hear
some great roofing ideas!!!    Honey, I say give those weeds a try and let
us all know how it worked out.  In five years we might all be looking for
some weeds just because of your input.  Good luck!