[Cob] alfalfa and weeds

Ronald C. Williams rcw1 at psu.edu
Tue Jul 20 09:13:28 CDT 2004

Though Charmaine didn't elaborate, her reference to "mousefood" was an
important one according to everything I have seen.  It is my understanding
that one of the main reasons straw is preferable to hay is that straw, once
the grain has been removed, is basically just another form of cellulose -
essentially the same as wood.  The difference with hay and weeds is that
they include a lot of potential food for insects and rodents.  Even if you
are planning to seal hay/weeds off between layers of cob or natural
plasters, it would be practically impossible to avoid some small openings
or to keep them from developing over time.  I guess this would be most
important if you are building shelter to live in as opposed to a shed or
other structure, though.

I, too, would be intrigued by the discussion of insulating ceilings/roofs
so I second Mary Lou's suggestion!