[Cob] footings, international studies, etc.

Buckaroo Bonzai tsuchimono at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 20 01:09:33 CDT 2004

Amanda,
   thank you for sending the url to the Menke book on
earthquake proofing earthen structures, that I
introduced you all to.  I am sure it and some other
references are already in the cob archive.

For people wondering about foundations:
   Now for foundations though, the exterior walls have
and extra consideration that interior walls don't
have.  That is drainage.  Which interior walls
hopefully, don't have to be concerned with. You need
to make a descision if it is simply a partition wall,
or a bearing wall.  Thin wall can be made easly out of
light straw/woodchips.  Charmaine has information I
don't think that earthships has a foundation at all
per say.  They just have those massive earth rammed
tires, at least in the back.   Somebody might be more
up on earthship design out there.

   For the person considering a trombe wall, they are
better than nothing, but, not nearly as efficient as a
solar battery, which is storing the heat in a
thermally insulated thermal mass, not losing as much
at night.  For more details on this technique see Nick
Pine's article at this url: "solar closets and
sunspaces"
http://vu-vlsi.ee.vill.edu/~nick/solar/solar.html

from Darel, for you all

http://www.gtz.de/basin/publications/books/ManualMinke.pdf