[Cob] strawbale

GlobalCirclenet webmaster at globalcircle.net
Tue Jul 20 22:37:17 CDT 2004

People who take a healthy discussion and turn it into personal attack and
ridicule usually show little to support their opinions. This is the case
below.  Nothing in that post refutes the points I made about strawbale
disadvantages such as cost, labor required, and constant maintenance.

Instead we are expected to all run out and build strawbale for these
reasons:

That person is a long time fan of strawbale and has experience with natural
building materials, and especially since they resent hearing it called a
"fad".

There are supposedly 3,000 strawbales built in this country. In other
words, almost non-existent.

The fact some codes allow strawbales is supposedly proof that they couldn't
be impractical.

And for some reason we're told fiberglass and foam attract vermin. Untrue.

And strawbale is supposed to be great because you have to plaster cob also.
Never mind the fact that if you neglect the cracks in cob plaster you don't
get mold and sick building syndrome from it.

And then we get a claim that's frankly, pure bullshit:  "Moisture is no
more likely to develop in a properly detailed bale home than it is in a cob
home or a conventionally stick-framed home or a Rastra blockhome."  Nobody
can see inside a bale to check moisture content already there, and cracks
in cob plaster or Rastra never, ever, result in moisture penetration with
mold and illness.

 And here's another gem: "plaster provides significant thermal mass on the
insulated inside".  But of course that's absurd since nobody is going to
put on plaster several inches thick. This person needs to stick to facts.
It takes four square feet of concrete or stone, six inches thick, to absorb
the direct gain from one square foot of south facing glass.

 Another "fact" is the claim that strawbale is fast and easy. If that
person really has any experience as claimed they should know it just ain't
so.  Ever try plastering an entire home inside and out?

There are so many other low-embedded energy alternatives including cob,
stone, pumicecrete, adobe, etc. etc. And all those have the potential to be
far cheaper and more low maintenance than strawbale. Where I live adobe has
been used for four hundred years, and now and then I see adobes still
standing long after their roofs have crumbled to dust. They were warm in
winter and cool in summer, and they were built for pennies. Today adobe and
pumicecrete are serious business, and building with earth is the ultimate
sustainable method.

paul at largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net