[Cob] strawbale

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 21 00:13:38 CDT 2004

Gee, maybe I should get a nearby resident who believes that insulation is
ridiculous and thermal mass is everything--with thermal mass defined mostly
as slip-formed concrete--involved with this discussion. He's truly
passionate in defense of that kind of building.

I wouldn't want to build it, but his house works well, winter and
summer--they've been happy with it for over 20 years now.

The straw bale buildings I've been in--two of them I've worked on--have been
really pleasant.  They were built back in the days when two inches of
concrete stucco inside and out and a concrete floor were pretty normal.  I
guess one could still do that if one wanted, but the earthen plasters and
floors are pretty wonderful--even if they are a learning experience for me.

Never been in a finished cob structure, but I'll bet it's wonderful,
too--pictures sure make it look that way, and besides cobbing is fun.

Kelly Hart's papercrete dome would probably be a dreadful idea here, where
ten inches of rain in a day or two is pretty common.  I've been flooded in
more than I've been snowed in here so far, even though both are possible.
Hart's apparently had great success with his home in Colorado.

I can't see importing enough pumice to do pumicecrete here either.

And a neighbor, having immersed himself in the various ideas for natural
building during the spring and early summer, has just about decided that
basic stick construction is the best idea of all for him.  I still reserve
the right to argue with him about it, but considering his timetable, his
budget, who's building it, and so on, he could be right.

Actually that's two neighbors, one has already moved into his new home.

Making fun of someone else's cherished ideas doesn't work very well,
especially when we start slinging words like bullshit around.  I'm well
known for saying that something won't work because....  Occasionally I've
been wrong, too--sometimes I'll even admit it.

We can't violate the laws of physics very easily.  Some kinds of building
are more time-consuming than others.  Some work better in some climates than
others. And not all of us want the same house, for which I'm truly glad.

Discover the best of the best at MSN Luxury Living. http://lexus.msn.com/