[Cob] Buttresses

Kim West kwest at arkansas.net
Wed Jul 21 11:28:23 CDT 2004

Does anyone here know whether a rounded rectangle shaped building will
require buttresses like square ones do? Our trench was relatively
square, and so was the concrete beam and the stone stemwall [we used
urbanite that was very near to right angles on the corners]. The first
[approximately] 1 foot of cob was somewhat rounded, but from there on up
we intend to make the somewhat rounded corners rise at a steep angle and
end up a rounded rectangle. The buidling is 16'X16' interior with 2 foot
thick walls where the cob meets the stemwall. The walls aren't exactly
straight lines--they undulate since we decided to follow the natural
curves of the stones in the stemwall. If square it should require one
buttress per side. What if it ends up a rounded rectangle? Will it still
need buttresses?

Thanks for all of the replies to my last post and for any help with this.

Happy cobbing!

Kim