[Cob] Straw bales vs ?

GlobalCirclenet webmaster at globalcircle.net
Wed Jul 21 09:11:21 CDT 2004

Agree application has much to do with practicality. Strawbale may be
practical for storage or animal outbuildings where it's easily available
and doesn't have to last long. As for heat loss, walls versus ceilings,
most heat loss is through the ceiling because heat rises, all other things
being equal. Of course extra insulation in the ceiling narrows the
difference (and adds to the cost), and constant opening of doors and lots
of windows would affect the relative heat loss.  I agree that "highly
insulated homes (regardless of insulation type) lose far less heat, and
lose it pretty much uniformly across the walls and ceilings, where poorly
insulated buildings lose alot more heat, and lose most of it through the
ceiling." If highly insulated means much more insulation in the ceiling
than walls.  My original point was that strawbale walls don't do anything
about the major heat loss which is through ceilings, doors, and windows,
and that stopping those losses costs just as much as any other type home.
And that for any sizeable home it's obviously impractical to support
strawbale ceilings with an expensive grid of massive timbers or glulams and
support posts.

paul at largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net