[Cob] Straw bales vs ?

Dognyard dognyard at stockroom.ca
Wed Jul 21 09:56:32 CDT 2004

GlobalCirclenet wrote:

>  My original point was that strawbale walls don't do anything
> about the major heat loss which is through ceilings, doors, and windows,
> and that stopping those losses costs just as much as any other type home.
> And that for any sizeable home it's obviously impractical to support
> strawbale ceilings with an expensive grid of massive timbers or glulams and
> support posts.

I may have missed the point of this, but isn't the ceiling and it's
insulation important in ANY kind of home? Why is it more of a concern in
a strawbale home? Seems to me it would be a key concern in a cob home, a
concrete home, a stick built home...

I would also like to toss out the idea that these things can be
discussed without stress and animosity. I guess ceilings aren't the only
place we tend to waste energy.

Karen in Alberta