[Cob] strawbale, geodesic domes, and igloos

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Thu Jul 22 03:06:58 CDT 2004

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:02:55PM -0700, Barbara Roemer and Glenn Miller wrote:
>Shannon has asked that we take the discussion off-list essentially
>because feeling and invective ran too high.

People should leave the invective out, but I have been wondering for a
long time about how straw bale compares to cob.

I hope noone here is afraid of frank discussion; are we so invested in
cob that straw bale can't be considered?

I was relieved when this thread popped up because it started to answer
some of the questions I was afraid to ask myself about the comparison
between straw bale and cob.  I too am wondering about roofing, and
combining straw bale with cob in the same building

Actually, I have been wondering if igloo style roofing couldn't be done
with straw bale.  Cut the straw bales to the right size and shape, and
stack them up in a spiral to form a dome roof.  Great insulation.  Any
thoughts?

Doesn't even need to be igloo style, we could make straw bales in
triangular shapes inspired by geodesic domes.  I think some folks have
reduced a geodesic dome to three different sizes and shapes of triangle;
we'd just need a custom baler to bale the hay.

Jonathan

--
Eukleia: Jonathan Walther
Address: 12706 99 Ave, Surrey, BC V3V2P8 (Canada)